Friday, August 11, 2017

Three Trips to the Emergency Room

By late December my body finally had enough. I was on antibiotics for 6 weeks straight and still felt awful. I made a trip to my PCP during their walk in clinic hours and saw the nurse. She gave me a shot of antibiotic and steroid to see if that would help. Two days later I went back and she sent me to the emergency room. I had lost 10 pounds in two days and was severely dehydrated. I did not want to go to the emergency room but I could barely stand so I went. They diagnosed me with a migraine (go figure) and dehydration. I was given what they called a migraine cocktail which is Benadryl, Toradol and an anti nausea medication. I felt very tired and ended up sleeping for 24 hours straight. When I woke up I could barely stand. I began drinking a lot of Gatorade and water to stay hydrated. I opted for plain pasta with butter for food. Although I had plenty of sleep I was still exhausted and crawled every where because I felt so dizzy. I went back to my PCP per emergency room orders and I still felt awful. He advised me to go home and just rest. Not even a week later I could not take it anymore and made a trip back to the ER. Again they gave me the migraine cocktail and fluids. They also took blood and noted that I had an infection somewhere and put me on Levaquin and another steroid to fight the inflammation. I finished the antibiotic yet felt awful still. One evening in now January I felt an awful pain in my lower abdomen and I was throwing up for about an hour. I could feel like a pop in my belly and that is when I had my very first anxiety attack. I was gasping for air and felt as if I was going to die. My hands were shaking and I panicked. It was 1 a.m. and I woke my Daughter to let her know I needed to go to the Emergency Room. I drove myself in a snowstorm while my Daughter called my son and held on the phone with him. My son talked to the ER and they quickly wheeled me to a bed. They set up an IV and gave me pain meds and an anxiety med. I explained the "pop" in my stomach and they did a CT scan and then an ultrasound. The "pop" was a cyst bursting on my ovary. I also explained the dizziness, nausea, sinus pain etc. Diagnosis? Migraine! Once again I received the migraine cocktail and sent home. I decided it was time for a second opinion. I made an appointment with another ENT. Did I mention I was stubborn?

No comments:

Post a Comment