Friday, August 11, 2017

The ENT Visit

The day finally arrived to see the ENT (ear, nose & throat) Dr. I have to admit I was irritated having to take time off of work for this appointment but also knew I had to get to the bottom of this chronic sinus infection. So many thoughts were running through my head. What if I need sinus surgery and how on earth would I pay for it? I had health insurance but with the deductible I was looking at thousands out of pocket and quite frankly this was not an option. I explained all my symptoms and he did a nasal endoscopy which entails a tube with a camera at the end that is inserted up each nostril so he could see the anatomy of my sinus cavities. It was not painful just a little uncomfortable. After the procedure he explained that I had no polyps but I did have a slightly deviated septum on my left side. He stated that he could do surgery to correct it but he would be just taking my money because the real cause he believed was migraines! Migraines? What on earth was this man talking about? He must be crazy! My sinuses were always inflamed and I always had drainage! How is this a migraine? At this point I wanted to scream. Still no solution. He referred me to a neurologist and appeased me by giving me a prescription for a steroid nasal rinse to see if that would help with the inflammation. It had to be compounded at a specialty pharmacy and was a whooping $50.00! Once again I felt defeated. This made no sense in my head. How can a migraine be related to all of the sinus issues I have been having? I received the call for my Neurologist appointment the same day however it was not for another 8 weeks! I started the nasal rinses three days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment